Goomi has had a great first year! To celebrate and to start the New Year off right, we are launching our brand new blog—a place where we can offer you health and fitness tips, plus ways to stay positive and find the balance in each day.
The New Year is a time to reflect on our growth---on the many things we’ve done right, and, inevitably, on things we’d like to improve upon in the coming year. And after a busy and often gluttonous holiday season, the number one resolution each year often has to do with improving our health and fitness.
And it’s hard to stay on track and stay positive when the odds are against us! Studies show that by the time the end of January hits, over half of those New Year’s Resolutions have fallen by the wayside and ultimately only 8% of resolutions made are actually achieved. So how do we set realistic goals for ourselves and make them work?
It’s time to make ourselves the priority. We ARE good at setting schedules and making goals each week and following them. As a busy working mom, I get it. We all live for the calendar each week. We make appointments for our hair, the dentist, we have on the calendar the day for taking out the trash or moving the car for street sweeping or taking medications at a certain time of the day, dropping your children off at practices or games, and even appointments for the dog groomer. While we prioritize what we think is important, the question becomes what is more important than our health? So, how about appointment exercising? This year why not try booking out your workouts on the calendar, and make yourself and your health and fitness a priority? Even if you’re going by yourself, booking it on the calendar, setting aside that time for you and holding yourself accountable to it can make a big difference. When someone asks if you’re available during that time, you’ll learn to say no and keep to your schedule. By keeping a regular schedule and holding to it, these appointments start to become a lifestyle and then---guess what---it becomes easy!
Here are a few tips on how to make it happen:
1. Book it. Set a schedule that works and get it on the calendar for 30 minutes a day, 3-5 times per week
2. Hold each other accountable. Teaming up can help with motivation, too. Meet up with a friend for a walk and to catch up, three times a week or book a class.
3. Mix it up. Calendar a blend of body benefits by doing a variety of workouts that focus on different body parts—throw in a couple of walks, get in some Pilates, add in some good yoga sessions, get outside and hike or run or, weather permitting, go for a bike ride. Variety is the spice of life!
4. Don’t beat yourself up. Take it easy on yourself and stay positive. You can do this! Believing you can is half the battle.
5. Take a regular class. If you know that a class falls on a certain day, show up. You’ll see that others are doing the same thing and they will start to hold you accountable.
6. Work getting in the way? Set up a Goomi Group yoga class for your office, school or place of work. You’ll find the balance, get in some good stretching and it will provide you inspiration, good health and motivation to get through the rest of the day.
I know you can do it if you just put your mind to it. Let’s make 2016 your healthiest yet.
Namaste and Happy New Year!